Thursday, October 8, 2020

Isaac's Strep Dream

March 2006

Isaac was home from school yesterday because he has strep throat. Last night in his medicated and somewhat feverish condition, he had a nightmare. In his dream, he had invited his friends to a party in our yard, and a crowd was gathering. 

Meanwhile, everything inside the house was terribly wrong. Dennis was sitting at the table in his underwear drinking beer. Keely and I were dressed in the ragged old clothes that we save for painting. The house was a total wreck, nothing was ready for the party, and no one but Isaac seemed to care. 

People were showing up that I had invited without consulting Isaac, and they were people he didn't like. He didn't even know some of the people I had invited, including the goth-looking teenage couple we saw at the library yesterday afternoon (in real life.) 

Isaac was frantically trying to fix everything, but there were too many things that were very badly wrong and he knew he was going to be terribly, terribly embarrassed at any moment when his friends came inside.

 The classic nightmare with the "Darn, I forgot to wear my clothes!" moment seems almost mild compared to the kind of humiliation that the family was inflicting on Isaac in this dream.

I have wild dreams at times, but I rarely remember them long enough to tell anyone about them or even think about them. But Dennis, Keely, and Isaac dream vividly and often entertain me with the curious plots their minds create.

No comments:

Post a Comment